Leon Vulpitta Pantarei
Pantarei was born in Cosenza (Calabria, Italy). His origins however are from Sicily
Leon is a multi-percussionist experienced in playing Mediterranean, Middle- and
Far-East musical instruments, in a fascinating and very personal hand percussion
During his long career, he has been collaborating with many important musicians
belonging both to popular music (Pino Daniele, Mango, Teresa De Sio, Mariella Nava)
and jazz (Antonello
Salis, Lutte Berg Ensemble, Paul M. Endless, Luca Pirozzi, M. Siniscalco,
Joe Bowie, Luca Aquino, Liza Werkerk, Nanà Vasconcelos, Hakon Kornstad and others).
In the past, Leon was the leader of the Etnodub Pantarei. At present he leads
the ethno jazz band named OMPARTY, winner of M.E.I. 2009
in the section "Suoni di Confine", with the project "L'ISOLA DELLA POMICE", published
He took part in the recording of more than 30 albums as soloist or sideman as yet.
His latest CD, the second with the band OMPARTY, is named "PETRAJANCA", released
in 2011 by Picanto/Egea.
In the recent referendum JAZZIT AWARDS Leon was placed among the ten best Italian
musicians in the category "Other Instruments" and first in the category of "Percussionists".
Leon Pantarei may be considered as one of the major representatives of the idea
of contamination among different musical styles and languages. Tireless inventor
of languages of synthesis, he is able to produce a great expressiveness, so that
the various techniques of his drumming may converge in the jazz and ethno jazz structures.
Due to the deep Mediterranean roots of his drumming and compositions, the specialized
critics tend to define him as a "Pitagoric artist" for the pan-Mediterranean and
iterative climax that his rhythms and singing evocate.
Leon Pantarei studied with Nanà Vasconcelos for the Amazon pulses, with
Shalil Ustad Al Shankar for the Indo- Pakistani tablas, with the Musicians of Nile
for darbouka, tombak, doumbeck Tar and bendìr.
Starting from Miles Davis' modal jazz and going along with his personal and strong
aptitude for "canto dato", Leon developed his own style based on a melodic expressiveness
(quite rare in a percussionist), full of Mediterranean and Oriental evocations.
All that originated an amazing hand percussion set so rich in nuances, timbres and
Leon Pantarei is considered one of the major representatives of the stylistic manifesto
known as "Imaginary Folklore".
- Ragalentu (CNI/ BMG – 1996)
- Nunn' e' dire nunn'e' fare – ep (CNI – 1997)
- Magaria – ep remix (CNI – 1997)
- Tremalaterra (Il Manifesto – 2002)
- RadioBuddha (LINKHOUSE/ Venus – 2004)
Album: Omparty a Leon Pantarei Project
- L'Isola Della Pomice (Picanto/Egea-2009) Premio
Suoni di Confine M.E.I. 2009
- Petra Janca (Picanto/Egea -2011)
- Canti Sudati (CNI- Il Manifesto 1996)
- OLIS vol. 2 (CNI - Olis 1997)
- La notte del dio che balla(Pantarei/DeSio) (CNI - La Repubblica
- Fango (CNI - Lega Ambiente 1999)
- AA.VV. Italian Etno Compilation (CNI – IED 2004)
- with Pino Daniele "Mascalzone Latino" (EMI 1989)
- with Mariella Nava "Cosi' e' la vita" (Baraonda - RTI
- with Mariella Nava "Come mi vuoi" (Baraonda - BMG 1999)
- with Lutte Berg E. " Mountain's breath" (RTI-DMI- WMI
- with Lutte Berg/ Salis/Mcandless " Santa Sofia" (Freeland- CGD
Tour / Special Guest (Pop):
Pino Daniele /Teresa De Sio/ Mango/ Orixas/ Mariella Nava
Tour / Special Guest (jazz):
A.Salis/ Lutte Berg Ensemble/ Luca Aquino/ Hakon Kornstad / Omparty/ Liza Werkerk
This page has 487 hits
Last Modified Date: 04/10/2013